Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Scuba diving

Last Thursday was a holiday here but I opted to work and take Friday off and go do a bit of scuba diving with a friend. The scuba diving spot close to where I live is not spectacular but is a fun day and never fails to disappoint. This Christmas I told everyone that all I wanted was money for an underwater camera, so when I got back to Malaysia, I bought one. This was my first trip with the camera and I here are some of the pictures. I also am involved in a scuba diving blog that you can access by clicking here.


Lionfish. I only had one pass at him before some other photographers came up and started taking pics.



The water at this site is greenish sometimes and visibility was poor. This is my attempt at a wide angle shot with a barrel sponge as the main attraction.




This is a nudibranch, a type of sea slug. I left the shells in the picture to help with size. The shells are about the size of your thumbnail or slightly bigger.



Nudi in Greek means naked (gasp!) and branch refers to the gills, basically meaning naked gills. The feathery protrusion on its back are those naked gills and are how it breathes. Here it is navigating a crevasse.



Here are nudibranches mating. Cover the children's eyes!!!!



A pufferfish, obviously not puffed. It is quite unethical to force them to 'puff' but some divers do it anyway.



Another species of nudibranch.


This turtle was one of the last things we saw before surfacing on our last dive.


6 comments:

glinar said...

Hey! nice pictures. It's from Pulau Payar? I miss diving :(

TopCat said...

Yes, they are from Pulau Payar. I'm ready for the east coast to open and dive somewhere different for a change:)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of the dive except the green water one. That did not look like fun.

Anonymous said...

Nice pics.

The nudibranch (Risbecia Pulchella) that you said is mating is actually not mating.

They are going what people sometimes "locomotion". It seems to be much like humans walking around holding hands.

Mating for nudibranch normally entails a sideways 6-9 position as they have the sex organs at the side.

:)

TopCat said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for the further information. I don't know as much as I want to about all these marine critters but with little tidbits like that I am on my way to knowing something.

TC

TopCat said...

I did some research on 'locomotion' and found it isn't restricted to nudibranches. If you want to do the 'Locomotion' with someone, here is how you can.

The Locomotion

Everybodys doin the brand new dance now,
Come on baby, do the locomotion...
I know you'll get to like it if you give it a chance now,
Come on baby, do the locomotion...

My little baby sister can do it with ease,
It's easier than learnin your abc,
So come on, come on, do the locomotion with me...

You've gotta swing your hips now,
Come on baby, jump up, jump back...
Well I think youve got the nack,
Woah woah...

Now that you can do it, lets make a chain now,
Come on baby, do the locomotion...
A chugga, chugga, motion like a railway train now,
Come on baby, do the locomotion...

Do it nice and easy now dont loose control,
A little bit of rhythm and a lotta soul,
So come on, come on, do the locomotion with me...

Oh yeah...
Do the locomotion...
Do the locomotion...
Yay, yay, yay, yeah...

Move around the floor in a locomotion,
Come on baby, do the locomotion...
Do it holdin hands like you got the notion,
Come on baby, do the locomotion...

There's never been a dance thats so easy to do,
It even makes you happy when youre feelin blue,
So come on, come on, do the locomotion with me...

You've gotta swing your hips now
Come on baby, jump up, jump back
Well I think youve got the nack
Woah, woah