Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What's on your Ipod?

Well, for my birthday my mom got me an Ipod. I have resisted the mp3 device revolution because I am not one of those people who has to listen to music all the time or they go crazy. However, I thought it was time to enter the 21st century at last and I got an Ipod Nano. What I soon discovered was that an Ipod is very little about music. There are literally hundreds of thousands of podcasts on almost every subject imaginable. So I am loving my Ipod but just have a hundred or so songs on it. A popular interview question is: “What’s on your Ipod?” so here is my answer.

Podcasts:

Car Talk: If you have never heard of this show you are missing one of the best things out there. It is a couple of guys from Cambridge, Massachusetts who answer calls about all things automotive. Hilarity always ensues.

Radio West: I only have on program from them about great speeches in history from Churchill to Reagan to Lincoln. Very, very interesting hour of moving speeches and memories.

Martin Luther King Jr: Spurred on by the program above, I downloaded his “I have a dream” speech

John F. Kennedy: Inaugural address “Ask not what your country can do for you…”

Booker T. Washington: Address at the Atlanta Convention “Up from Slavery”.

Socrates

Napoleon Podcast: Up to this date, a 23 part podcast on the life and impact of Napoleon. So far I have listened to 2 parts (each is an hour) with my parents and we found them excellent.

Military History Podcast: Hannibal at the Gates and Alexander the Great Hannibal is my favourite non-religious historical person. Started with that term paper in the fifth grade and still continues today. One day I want to hike the route he took through the Alps from Spain when he invaded Italy and the Roman Empire.

Max Out Radio: Podcast on nutrition and health.

Coffee Break Spanish: A great podcast that is 15 minute lessons on how to learn Spanish.

Music:

Van Halen-Greatest Hits: I’ve loved their music for a long time.

Modest Mouse: Giving this one a try.

Emmylou Harris-Red Dirt Girl: My aunt sent me this CD about 7 years ago and I still love it. Any songwriter that can use “drawn and quartered” in a song is worth a listen.

The Monkees: The original boy band!

Van Morrison-Moondance: Very different, very good.

Cream: Clapton at a young age.

O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack

Coldplay

Counting Crows

Bruce Hornsby/Billy Joel: I love piano driven songs.

Cranberries: Linger and Zombie are classics.

Natalie Imbruglia: I have no reason why but I love this CD and often in the past craved certain songs off of it. Yes, I know she is a former Aussie soaps actress and “Torn” will be her one hit wonder. To each his own, ok?

U2-The Singles: Who doesn’t love U2?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What no "shout out" for "We Didn't Start the Fire"?

TopCat said...

I was going to but the list was getting long.

Billy Joel: Piano Man and We Didn't Start the Fire