Saturday, August 18, 2007

I like to ride my bicycle, I like to ride my bike

I'm visiting friends before I leave Malaysia and I spent the morning and afternoon out on a little bike ride through the kampung (village) down to a beach about 6 km from their house.

First, I was riding and older style bike. Really cool looking but by the time I started back it was killing me in the you know what. The ride was really nice when I started out but I took a long time. The kampung is very rural but there are houses everywhere and they are in no kind of order. It's as if God took his Monopoly set and turned it upside down. Houses fell everywhere and then the roads were traced through the empty places. So, the road meanders this way and that and you have do idea if your on the main road or one that dead ends at a clump of houses. This meant that I would head down a path and just hope it was the main one. Needless to say I made lots of U-turns. It was very fun at first to meet people and ask directions but on the way back, it was hot and about 2 pm and I just wanted a shower.

Definitely a fun ride. Here are some pictures from the adventure.

My faithful steed

Kites for sale on the beach


Nasi kerabu--don't adjust your colour, it is blue rice.
Also, this meal cost me RM1.80 and that included drink.
Malaysians get tired of hearing how strong the US dollar is, but that is $.50 and in Penang the same meal would cost twice that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to read a blog from you again. I wonder if you will find as much to blog about in the U.S.? I have enjoyed Malaysia through your eyes. I am also glad I got to see a small part of it for myself.