Thursday, October 26, 2006

Back from Bukit Fraser


Looks like a poinsettia but they are not native to Malaysia so I could be wrong.

Wow, I love going to Fraser’s Hill. Here in Malaysia there are basically three highland areas, Fraser’s Hill, Cameron and Genting Highlands. Genting is renowned for its gambling and amusement park. Cameron Highlands is the home of Boh tea and one cannot go there without taking in the gorgeous tea plantations there. Also, it has great trekking. Fraser’s Hill isn’t as popular as the other two so it isn’t crowded, even on public holidays. It is less developed, so there are not many things to do such as amusement parks or visiting tea plantations. However, the flora and fauna there are spectacular. Fraser’s is world-famous for its birdwatching. For my tastes, I prefer Fraser’s above Cameron and Genting Highlands.

My empty glass of fresh strawberry juice

The early morning spectacle at Jelai Highlands Resort was a little disappointing. Birds still came in to feast on the moths and insects that died around the parking lot lights during the night but nothing like one year ago. I did manage to take a couple good pictures of the common species around the resort. I didn’t focus on birdwatching but here is my list for the weekend:

  1. Chestnut-capped laughingthrush
  2. Chestnut-crowned laughingthrush
  3. Oriental magpie-robin
  4. Silver-eared mesia
  5. Asian brown flycatcher
  6. Little pied flycatcher
  7. Long-tailed sibia
  8. Lesser racquet-tailed drongo
  9. Mountain fulvetta
  10. Mountain leaf warbler
  11. Large-billed crow
  12. Streaked spiderhunter
  13. Black-throated sunbird
  14. Bar-winged flycatcher-shrike
  15. Malaysian cuckoo-shrike
  16. Yellownape (not sure Greater or Lesser)
  17. Mountain Imperial Pigeon
  18. Little Egret
  19. Mountain Bulbul
  20. Orange-bellied leafbird
  21. Yellow wagtail

Portrait of a chestnut-capped laughingthrush

The orange-bellied leafbird and chestnut-crowned laughingthrush were new species for me. I have posted pictures of the blue-tailed bee-eater and it is one of my favorite birds but I really like the little pied flycatcher as well. Alas, I couldn’t get any good pictures of it.

I always enjoy the fact that the monkeys are there. I saw troops of dusky leaf monkeys and heard gibbons calling in the distance. Got to love that!

A dusky leaf monkey eyes the intruder to his realm (me!)

Maybe the highlight of the trip was the chance to see wild jungle pigs. Twice we saw them and the second time I almost had a picture but I had my macro lens on the camera and couldn’t get it focused fast enough. Gives me a reason to go back. Maybe I can get a good picture of them next time.

No comments: