Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Tilting at windmills

My home has been become a paradise for Don Quixote! The part of Oklahoma that I am from is flat and, well, windy. Growing up it was something that I hated. Try playing badminton in the backyard with a stiff wind blowing in your face and you will give up quite quickly. Maybe that is the reason I still am ranked as one of the worst badminton players in the world.

However, recently wind has become something of a boon for the local economy. They have started installing giant windmills to harness the wind and turn it into electricity. Now the horizon is covered with massive pinwheels spinning the gusts into volts. It seems counter-intuitive to me to clear large sites for the windmills with service roads and then market the electricity as environmentally-friendly but I do applaud the move to a renewable energy source.

The house and barn help to give you an idea of just how big the windmills are.

Sancho, bring me my steed for there is a giant to slay!

As the sun set in the land of the pinwheels, and Alice longed for her duvet.

No comments: